The Surfboard– what would we be without them? body surfers? boogie boarders?
It is The piece of equipment we can’t live without.
It is the medium we use to translate our thoughts on to the wave.
A little primer on modern boards for all the newbies.
There are a few different parts to familiarize yourself with.
• Tail – Very bottom of board,there are a number of different types of tail shapes. This also the place where your leash will go (into leash plug).
• Bottom deck– Underside of board, the bottom can be very complex and is an integral part of your surfboard performs.
• Top deck– Top side of board, This is the area you want to apply the surf wax to.
• Stringer– Piece of wood that runs down the middle of board.
• Fins– Fins or skegs, these are what determine the amount of hold and slide you will have.
• Rails-Edges of the board from nose to tail. The rail can come in many different configurations.
The very first boards are a far cry from what they are today.
Back when Surfing was a deeply spiritual practice and the Sport of Kings, The surfboard or papa he‘e nalu (the Hawaiian name) The Hawaiians made the boards out of certain types of trees like Koa, Wili Wili and Ulu (Breadfruit).
Types of Ancient Boards
The Olo (For the Chiefs)
The Alaia (For the commoners)
So many years later and now the most advanced materials are being used, including computers. Board design has become alot more complex compared to the first boards.
For a little more on The History Of The Surfboard
One thing that has remained constant is the basic shape and the slide.
Nowadays there are alot of different types of boards to ride. Shortboards, Fishes, Epoxies, Longboards, Wooden, Soft tops, you can even get a hold of a “modern” Alaia.
One of the coolest things about surfing is that if you wanted to shape your own board you can. Directly affecting the way you surf with the board you shape is such a unique thing.
Everybody should try building their own board at least once.
Kits are readily available to make the process easier, and you can buy blanks that come already in a shape fairly close to whatever specification you want ie. funboard, longboard, shortboard, eliminating some of the work for you.
If you do not want to make your own board at least you should be able to Fix your own Dings