The Surfboard Leash, making all Surfers a bit softer and out of shape one wave at a time since 1971.
Like it or not the Surf Leash is here to stay.
We’ve used one since we began surfing, so we cant really bag on them, they are pretty essential to today’s surfing world.
They make life a lot easier when I surf, if I had to scamper over the reef on low tide every time I lost my surfboard my feet would be cut to ribbons and way more of mess then they all ready are.
Basic Surf Leash Knowledge
So we all need (Or i should say use) a surfboard leash.
But other then selfish lazy reasons what for?
Well mainly so you don’t hurt other surfers in the water.
Here is what you need to know about Surfboard Leashes
Leashes are grouped by:
- The thinner the diameter of the surfboard leash, the weaker the leash, but the less drag it creates in the water.
- The thicker the leash, the stronger it will be, but that in turn creates more drag.
- Small wave surfboard leashes are thinner and big wave leashes are thicker…. pretty basic.
- Length – you basically want to go with a surf board leash at least as long your board, so if you surf a 7ft board get a 7 ft leash but if you ride a 7’6″ then get an 8ft.
Keeping those two things in mind when buying a leash, ask your self these questions:
- What size of surfboard do you ride.
- What types of waves will you surf – small or big.
If you are just learning how to surf then go with a standard leash or one that is a bit thicker. Don’t get a comp (competition) leash (smallest in diameter) they are generally for shorter boards and you shouldn’t be riding a short board just yet, if you are then check this out.
They do have longboard comp leashes but pass on those also, you want a leash that is a little more trustworthy- thicker in diameter- then those.
Remember that all leash packaging will have the length and diameter printed on it, as well as what its made for – big wave, small wave, competition, posing at the beach, whipping it at your buddies etc….. and if you are uncertain as to what is what, just ask the shop keep.
How To Use A Leash
Now that you got your surf leash how to use it..
Attaching the Leash
Probably the trickiest part is tying the little piece of nylon rope that attaches your leash to the surfboard..they almost always come tied in a knot, so all you have to do is loop it through the deck plug (the area on the tail of a surfboard) and then attach your leash to it.
First thread the leash rope through the deck plug.
Next slip the knot through the loop end.
Now Pull Tight So It Looks Like This.
Now Attach The Velcro Strap To Leash Rope.
Should Look Similar To This
So When We Say “how to use a surfboard leash” we are really talking about is usage in the water.
As mentioned before, it (leash) is basically a safety device for other surfers around you. So when you fall your board wont go tumbling towards anyone paddling out.
A couple of Do Not Do’s
- DON’T use it as a life safety device, if you cant swim in on your own without a surfboard then you shouldn’t be surfing that spot, easy as that. Ive seen to many times a leash break and some guy is out in the water freaking cause they aren’t real fit and competent enough to be surfing the break (surf spot).
- DON’T ditch your board when a wave is coming at you its dangerous for others around you and its a bad habit..learn to hang on to it. This is good surf etiquette as well.
As you become a better surfer learn to surf without a leash, it will make you a better all a round surfer.
For those just beginning, always wear a leash, you are going to be doing a lot more falling than surfing, that’s okay, falling is part of learning and eventually you will be able to ride a wave from start to finish!!
Online directory is a great way to find a health care purveyor in your area who treats this kind of heartiness conditions. Nowadays, almost 40 percent of Americans buy medicaments online. Certainly most popular is viagra. Have a question about viagra and “generic viagra online“? Currently, there are many options for people who suffer from such disease. Did learned something about “viagra generic name“? More info about viagra available at “viagra”. Orgasm problems can generally indicate problems in other area. Also, the only way to avoid phony drugs is to purchase prescription medicines like viagra from a well-thought-of online drugstore with which you are familiar.