Making a glass from a bottle is really easy but kind of frustrating.
Easy enough to do, but to actually get something we could use for a glass was a bit more difficult.
Had to go through a couple bottles to actually get a usable one. they kept breaking with really jagged edges, but since we had a bunch of old bottles it was no worries and if we needed more no worries again, just drink a couple beers.
So we tried it with two different methods.
1st Method: String, Fire, Water.
- You want to tie a cotton string ( we used a cotton wick string – that burns really good) around a bottle 3 or 4 times.
- Next dip the tied string in acetone, or a lighter fluid.
- Replace it onto bottle and light it up.
- Now turn the bottle to get it to burn evenly on all sides. Do this for about 30 seconds or so.
- Dunk the bottle in Ice cold water.
That’s it, easy as. Now all you have to do is sand down the edges, both outer and inner and its good to go.
2nd Method: Glass cutter, Small Flame, Ice Cubes
- Place some tape, or any sort of guide around where you want to cut bottle. now take your glass cutter ( we suggest getting a good one, ours is lousy and it barely scratched it so we really had to use a lot of force to get it to work.
- Now rotate bottle where the cut line is around a small flame, get it good and hot.
- Grab an ice cube and rub it along the cut line, you will hear some cracking and see the glass starting to split. keep alternating between fire and ice, it took about 4 or 5 times between the two. We actually only had a few ice cubes and they melted pretty quickly ( they don’t do good in tropical sun) so we ended up using a frozen chicken thigh ( it was our dinner for the night, so all good).
Once you get the bottle to split, its just a matter of sanding down again.
Its a pretty simple project, but its cool not to have to “buy” a glass. just re-purpose the bottle you have!