Having a shite surf session happens to all of us, there are lots of things we can do about it, the two things we usually do is paddle in or try to surf through it- which usually ends up making the surf even more frustrating.
Here are a few things to try during, before or whenever if you are having a lousy session or are in a slump that’s lasting longer than a single surf.
1. Surf B or C Grade Spots: A beach break might have a great peak but maxed out with people..cruise on down to the next peak..not as good, but not not as crowded and but chances are you will get more waves. Sometimes quantity is better than quality…you actually feel like you had a surf instead of paddle battle for every scrap that come through on the crowded peak.
2. Stretch: You ever felt like a 2×4 on a surfboard? Surfing when every muscle in your body is tight and unyielding is a drag. Get in the habit of stretching before you have a surf, even better just make it a part of your daily/nightly routine, whether you surf or not. Feeling loose in the water makes you confident, having confidence translates to not pulling back on late ones, taking off on late ones you can sit deeper, sitting deeper means your away form the main pack.
3. Choose the Correct Sled: Choose the right board for the conditions, riding a wafered out super rocker thruster in slow mushy summer time waves makes for a lousy time. Riding a flat bottomed super wide fish in dredging hollow waves also makes (for most of us) for a lousy time. Know the wave you are riding and the best board for the conditions & you’ll catch more waves.
4. Change up Sleds: If your in a slump and every sesh feels worst than the last one, change up your gear…ride a fish or an egg or a single fin..whatever is different then the board you ride now, it will teach how to look at a wave differently-whether it be down the line.. vertical up and downs or actually learning to trim and glide.
5. Eat Right: Don’t load up on bunch of crappy food right before a session..leave that for after the surf..nothing like a carne aside burrito and a large horchata right after satisfying surf. Keep it light.
6. Switch Stance: This might be a little off the wall, but if you don’t care how you look or your surfing a break by yourself try surfing the session switch stance just to break up whatever it is your doing that is causing a shite session.
7. Don’t Be A JackAss: Just because you aren’t getting waves or your blowing the waves you get, no reason to start snaking and back paddling- its true that one good wave can snap you out of the funk but get it the right way. So do the opposite and give a wave, that could reverse your fortunes!