NASI GORENG AYAM ( Fried Rice with Chicken)
This is a good, easy, taste of Indonesia.
If you have been to Indonesia for a surf trip then you have no doubt had this basic surf trip staple.
Nasi Goreng can be made with just about anything you find in your fridge. It doesn’t have to exactly follow this recipe ( except for the garlic, shallots, rice) its just what we had in the fridge. It traditionally does not include a meat mixed in with the rice but we like it campur campur- all mixed up.
Everything is easy to get, the only thing you might have to look for beyond a regular grocery store is the Kecap Manis- Sweet Soy Sauce. A Trader Joes , Whole Foods or some sort of hippy/co-op market might have it, if you go to a Asian market you will find it there.
Makes enough for 2-4 people
−1/2 to 1 cup uncooked rice ( use rice cooker if you have one)-Don’t use Uncle Bens- use good rice
– 2 eggs
– 3 big shallots (sliced)
– 6 cloves of garlic (sliced)
– 1 small chili (sliced) *optional,
– 1/2 cup of carrot (sliced thinly) *optional, you can change with other vegetables
– 1/2 cup of cabbage (chopped) *optional, you can change with other vegetables
– 1 cup cooked chicken (chopped)-can be shrimp, tofu, or all vegetables
– 2 tbs oil
– 2-3 tbs sweet soy sauce
– salt and white pepper
– Heat oil stir in shallots than garlic and chilli , cook until half done/golden brown than season it with salt and pepper.
– Add eggs to shallot-garlic-chili and scramble/ when egg is just about done add your veggies,
– Add chicken and stir it up
– Then add your rice, mix and stir it again.
– Finally add sweet soy-sauce and stir, cook for 5-10 minutes, keep stirring – add more salt/pepper sweet soy-sauce to taste if needed.
Serve with egg , cucumbers and krupuk (chips).