How To Make A Rope Hammock
We wanted a hammock without any hardware, purely rope and knots. It needed to be easy to put up & take down. This is a pretty common do it yourself rope hammock and can be made in a morning or afternoon, if you are up for it here is what is needed.
- Tape measure
- Scissors/utility knife
- 24-48 strands of 20 foot rope (480 to 960 foot of rope) this should give you a length of 6 to 6 1/2 feet of hammock (not including the end bits) If you want a longer hammock bed just increase the length of the rope to 22ft or 25ft etc…
The thickness of the rope is personal preference, it should be thick enough to be sturdy but not so thick that the knots are to big and become uncomfortable to lay on.
We used a cotton rope which is not the best for leaving outdoors unless under a canopy or porch of some sort. Can use any type of rope you prefer, directions will still be the same.
To Get Started
- Take your 24 or 48 strands of rope and knot one end – leave about 6″ to 12″ from the end. For our purposes we will be using 24 strands as an example – see image to the right
- Next Step-make top row of knots – Take strands 1 and 2 and make a simple overhand knot about 24″ from your original large knot end. (see slide 2) Do this for all the strands. 1/2 then 3/4 then 5/6 etc…going all the way across, making sure to keep them even, until you get to the end 23/24.
- Once you have your top row of knots its time to start on the rest of the hammock. (slide 3)
- 2nd row of knots. Grab strands 23 and 22, measure down about 3 inches from your top row of knots, knot these two strands together, do the same for strands 21/20-do this all the way until strands 3/2- knot these together, leaving strand 1 on its own. Measure down 3 inches and knot strands 1 and 2 together, then 3/4, 5/6 etc… all the way to 22/23. Grab strand 24 measure down 3 inches and knot 24/23 together.
- Keep following this pattern until you get about 2 feet form the other end, and tie them all together.
- Attach on your porch or a couple trees. Lay back and sleep.
PDF OF ROPE HAMMOCK VISUAL → Rope Hammock Visual-1